Dear Boat-Enthusiast, did you know it is a legal requirement that operators of VHF marine radios need to be qualified? In order to use your AIS installed system you are required to have a VHF licence.
Therefore, we are putting on a VHF Marine Radio Licence Certificate Course on for you.
The New AWQ VHF Marine Radio Licence Certificate Course is a streamlined hands on course designed for recreational boaters in Australian Territorial Waters and will be run by Peninsula Boat Training.
Why do I need a qualification at all?
A marine radio can save lives, so it’s important that:
- you know the correct channels to use, and how and when to use them
- you know distress and safety procedures, including how to access search and rescue facilities
- you know how to respond to an emergency call
- your messages are understood and others know how to respond
- you know what DSC is and the benefits of connecting a GPS to your radio
- you know when and how to operate an EPIRB in a distress situation
- In an emergency, knowledge of distress and safety procedures helps everyone involved in the rescue.
- Your Licence will allow you to access DSC - the red button - and AIS by allowing you to apply for a MMSI number
- Marine radio communications can also provide a variety of services to small vessels, including weather and navigational information.
- So, the more you know about how to operate a marine radio, the more benefit you’ll get from yours.
About the course:
Saturday, 26th October 2019
9am till 12noon
at Sandringham Yacht Club, Olympic Room
$199 per person*
Approximately 3 hours with 2 hours presentation followed by a 25 question multiple choice THEORY test and a “HANDS ON” practical test using an actual VHF Radios
*(including morning tea and coffee and your certificate)
What to bring :
Drivers licence and Medicare care
Your USI Unique Student Identity (www.usi.gov.au)